In the “multi-line” vs “single line” searches debate, one point that is often thrown around is: multi-line searches are more cumbersome to edit and run. Even with Ovid’s new “edit” button, it still takes a few clicks and a few page refreshes to edit a strategy and see the results. When making lots of changes quickly to a strategy, this time can really add up.
One underappreciated and little known tool is Ovid’s mutli-line launcher. It’s beautiful! The multi-line launcher allows a user to copy/paste a multi-line strategy directly into the search box, press enter, and view the search results – with hits for each line – as normal.
When making edits to a strategy I tend to do the following:
- paste the strategy into the multi-line launcher box
- ensure that the line numbers are still correct or changed if needed
- press enter to view results
- if strategy requires a change, type “..pg all” into the search box in the main Ovid MEDLINE interface to delete search history (see more about keyboard shortcuts in Ovid here)
- Make edits to the strategy in a word document
- Paste back into the multi-line launcher box
I’ve found this strategy works more quickly and with less site time-outs than using the native “edit” button.